Friday, July 22, 2011
Writing With Passion
I always encourage my students to write what they are passionate about. Within the framework of their writing assignments, which are only external structures that give them general parameters, I want them to choose topics that excite them. They will write better papers if they are excited about their subject matter and they will write even better papers if they are passionate about their subject matter. This is because their natural writing abilities come through better when they aren't also challenged with a topic they find boring. When writing in an inspired frame of mind, ideas flows more easily, style comes more naturally, and the writing sounds spontaneous rather than forced. The quality of the writing increases and so does reader response. I maintain that a truly inspired piece of writing can make any subject fascinating. It's not the subject matter of what we read that snags our attention as much as the style of what we read. With passionate writing, we can be lured into all kinds of nooks and crannies that we would not otherwise have ventured into. I have read inspired student essays on subjects I know nothing about and come away with a genuine interest in a subject I had previously never given a thought to. As readers, it's the experience we're after. We want to be excited by what we read, and if you can give that to readers, your writing will have a lasting effect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment